THE SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIETNAM
Independence - Freedom - Happiness
Hanoi, July 29, 2019
On conservation and sustainable use of wetlands
Pursuant to the June 19, 2015 Law on Organization of the Government;
Pursuant to the November 13, 2008 Law on Biodiversity;
At the proposal of the Minister of Natural Resources and Environment,
The Government promulgates the Decree on conservation and sustainable use of wetlands.
Article 1. Scope of regulation and subjects of application
1. Scope of regulation
This Decree prescribes the conservation and sustainable use of wetlands in the territory of Vietnam.
2. Subjects of application
This Decree applies to domestic organizations, households and individuals, overseas Vietnamese, and foreign organizations and individuals that carry out activities of or related to the conservation and sustainable use of wetlands in the territory of Vietnam.
Article 2. Interpretation of terms
The terms used in this Decree are construed as follows:
1. Conservation of a wetland means the maintenance and protection of the structure, functions, ecological characters and biodiversity of a wetland.
2. Wetland ecosystem services means benefits brought about by wetland ecosystems to humans.
3. Ecological characters of a wetland means the combination of typical ecosystem components, processes and services of a wetland at a certain point of time.
4. Ramsar Convention is the shortened name of the Convention on Wetlands of International Importance especially as Waterfowl Habitat.
5. Wetland ecosystem means an area accommodating biotic and/or abiotic elements of a certain wetland which have mutual impacts on and material exchange with one another.
6. Wetland reserve means a nature reserve with a wetland area making up at least 50% of its area.
7. Ramsar site means a wetland of international importance which is recognized by the Ramsar Convention’s Secretariat.
8. Wetlands include areas of marsh, fen, peatland or water, whether permanent or temporary, including coastal and marine areas the depth of which at low tide does not exceed 6 meters.
Article 3. Principles of conservation and sustainable use of wetlands
1. The conservation and use of wetlands must adhere to the principles of ecosystem approach and maintenance of the entire structure, functions, ecological characters and biodiversity of wetlands.
2. To promote the role and participation of communities living on and around wetlands and stakeholders in the conservation and sustainable use of wetlands.
3. To implement the mechanism of fair and equitable sharing of benefits, interests and obligations among stakeholders in the use of wetland ecosystems.
Article 4. State management of the conservation and sustainable use of wetlands
Contents of state management of the conservation and sustainable use of wetlands include:
1. Promulgating, and organizing the implementation of, legal documents on conservation and sustainable use of wetlands, and provisions of the Ramsar Convention.
2. Formulating, and organizing the implementation of, strategies, master plans and plans on conservation and sustainable use of wetlands nationwide and in each locality.
 Công Báo Nos 613-614 (5/8/2019)
Click Download to see the full text