THE SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIETNAM
Independence - Freedom - Happiness
Hanoi, March 3, 2021
Promulgating the 2021-2030 National Strategy on Gender Equality
Pursuant to the June 19, 2015 Law on Organization of the Government; and the November 22, 2019 Law Amending and Supplementing a Number of Articles of the Law on Organization of the Government and the Law on Organization of Local Administration;
Pursuant to the November 29, 2006 Law on Gender Equality;
Pursuant to the Government’s Decree No. 70/2008/ND-CP of June 4, 2008, detailing a number of articles of the Law on Gender Equality;
At the proposal of the Minister of Labor, Invalids and Social Affairs,
Article 1. To promulgate together with this Resolution the 2021-2030 National Strategy on Gender Equality.
Article 2. This Resolution takes effect on the date of its signing.
Article 3. Ministers, heads of ministerial-level agencies, heads of government-attached agencies, chairpersons of provincial-level People’s Committees, and related agencies, organizations and individuals shall implement this Resolution.
On behalf of the Government
NGUYEN XUAN PHUC
THE 2021-2030 NATIONAL STRATEGY ON GENDER EQUALITY
(Promulgated together with the Government’s Resolution No. 28/NQ-CP
of March 3, 2021)
Perpetuating the 2011-2020 National Strategy on Gender Equality, furthering the directions of the Party and the State on the attainment of the gender equality objectives, contributing to the achievement of the sustainable development goals toward 2030, the Government promulgates the Resolution on the 2021-2030 National Strategy on Gender Equality (below referred to as the Strategy) with the following principal contents:
1. General objectives
To further narrow the gender gap, create conditions and opportunities for women and men to participate in and enjoy equality in all aspects of the social life, contributing to the country’s sustainable development.
2. Specific objectives
a/ Objective 1: In the political domain
Target: By 2025, 60% and by 2030, 75% of state management agencies and local administrations at all levels will have key female leaders.
b/ Objective 2: In the economic and labor domain
- Target 1: To increase the rate of salaried female employees to 50% by 2025 and about 60% by 2030.
- Target 2: To reduce the rate of female laborers in the agricultural sector among the total employed women to below 30% by 2025 and under 25% by 2030.
- Target 3: The percentage of female directors or owners of enterprises or cooperatives will reach at least 27% by 2025 and 30% by 2030.
c/ Objective 3: In family life and gender-based violence prevention and response
- Target 1: To reduce the average number of hours spent by women on unpaid household work and family care by 1.7 times by 2025 and 1.4 times by 2030 as compared to men.
- Target 2: 80% by 2025 then 90% by 2030 of identified domestic violence or gender-based violence victims will have access to at least one of the basic support services; 50% by 2025 and 70% by 2030 of identified committers of domestic violence or gender-based violence not serious enough for being subject to penal liability examination will be provided with advice and consultancy.
- Target 3: From 2025 onward, 100% of identified returning human-trafficking victims who have demands for support will be entitled to support and community reintegration services.
- Target 4: 70% by 2025 and 100% by 2030 of public social protection establishments will carry out gender-based violence support, prevention and response activities.
d/ Objective 4: In the health domain
- Target 1: The sex ratio at birth will be 111 boys to every 100 girls by 2025 and 109 boys to every 100 girls by 2030.
- Target 2: The maternal mortality ratio will drop to 42 per 100,000 live births by 2025 and under 42 per 100,000 live births by 2030.
- Target 3: The adolescent birth rate will decrease from 23 births per 1,000 women to 18 births per 1,000 by 2025 and below 18 births per 1,000 by 2030.
- Target 4: The percentage of provinces and centrally run cities with at least one health establishment providing healthcare services on a pilot basis for homosexuals, bi-sexual and transgender people will reach 40% by 2025 and 70% by 2030.
dd/ Objective 5: In the education and training domain
- Target 1: The gender and gender equality contents will be included in the curricula of the national education system and officially taught at teacher training institutions from 2025 onward.
- Target 2: The rates of ethnic minority boys and girls having completed primary education will reach over 90% by 2025 and about 99% by 2030; the rates of those having completed lower secondary education will reach about 85% by 2025 and 90% by 2030.
- Target 3: The rates of female students newly enrolled in the vocational education system will reach over 30% by 2025 and 40% by 2030.
- Target 4: The ratio of female master-degree holders to the total number of master degree holders will reach at least 50% by 2025 onward. The ratio of female doctorate-degree holders to the total number of doctorate degree holders will reach 30% by 2025 and 35% by 2030.
e/ Objective 6: In the information and communications domain
- Target 1: 60% by 2025 and 80% by 2030 of the population will have access to basic knowledge on gender equality.
- Target 2: From 2025 onward, 100% of Party organizations, administrations, administrative agencies, committees, sectors and mass organizations of different levels will be popularized and updated with information on gender equality and commit to practice gender equality.
- Target 3: From 2025 onward, 100% communes, wards and townships will publish on a quarterly basis at least 4 news reports or articles on gender equality in their local communications systems.
- Target 4: To maintain that 100% of central and local radio and television stations having monthly special columns and programs to raise public awareness about gender equality.
II. MAJOR TASKS AND SOLUTIONS
1. To intensify the leadership and direction of Party committees and the management responsibility of administrations at all levels in raising public awareness about and implementing and improving institutions related to gender equality. To heighten the role and responsibility of leading officials in the implementation of regulations on gender equality.
2. To improve the system of policies and laws guaranteeing the principles of gender equality in relevant domains. To incorporate gender equality contents in the formulation of policies and laws as well as socio-economic development programs, strategies and plans.
3. To formulate and implement programs to step up the practice of gender equality and to prevent and respond to gender-based violence: To carry out communication to heighten public awareness about and change behaviors related to gender equality; to incorporate gender equality contents into the system of formal lectures at all educational levels; to practice gender-based violence prevention and response; to improve gender equality capacity for legal officers and incorporate more contents on gender equality into the formulation of legal documents; to ensure greater participation of women in leadership and management positions at different policymaking levels.
4. To step up information and propagandization work and the application of information technology to heighten awareness about gender equality among people of different strata. To annually organize a month of action for gender equality and gender-based violence prevention and response from November 15 to December 15.
5. To raise the capacity of the state management apparatus in charge of gender equality at all levels; to increase interdisciplinary inspections and examinations of the implementation of the law on gender equality; to establish a national database on gender.
6. To proactively promote international cooperation in the realization of gender equality objectives; to make full use of technical, financial and professional assistance of foreign countries, organizations and individuals in the domain of gender equality.
III. FUNDS FOR IMPLEMENTATION OF THE STRATEGY
1. Funds for implementation of the Strategy include:
State budget funds arranged in annual budget estimates of ministries, sectors, central agencies, and localities; relevant programs and schemes as prescribed by the law on the state budget;
International donations and aid and funding sources mobilized from the society and communities;
Other lawful funding sources.
2. Ministries, sectors and localities shall make annual budget estimates for the implementation of the Strategy and manage and use funding sources in accordance with the law on the state budget.
IV. ORGANIZATION OF IMPLEMENTATION
1. Assignment of responsibility
a/ The Ministry of Labor, Invalids and Social Affairs:
- To organize the implementation of the Strategy nationwide;
- To scrutinize, amend and supplement gender equality-related policies and laws according to its competence;
- To guide and organize annually a month of action for gender equality and gender-based violence prevention and response;
- To formulate and implement a program on gender-based violence prevention and response and communication for higher awareness and change of behaviors about gender equality; to incorporate gender equality projects into social security programs;
- To guide, examine and review the implementation of the Strategy and periodically report it to the Government and the Prime Minister; to organize reviews of the implementation of the Strategy;
- To organize, monitor and report results of realization of targets 1 and 2 of Objective 2; target 2 (data on gender-based violence), targets 3 and 4 of Objective 3; target 3 of Objective 5; and targets 1 and 2 of Objective 6, of the Strategy.
b/ The Ministry of Planning and Investment:
- To incorporate the gender-equality objectives and targets in national annual and 5-year socio-economic development plans;
- To guide the incorporation of gender equality objectives and targets in the formulation of sectoral or local socio-economic development strategies, master plans and plans and evaluate the results of realization of these objectives and targets;
- To collect, compile and promptly announce data in the set of statistical norms of annual national gender development; to establish a national database on gender;
- To collect and report data related to the realization of target 3 of Objective 2; target 1 of Objective 3; and target 4 of Objective 5, of the Strategy.
c/ The Ministry of Finance:
- To allocate non-business funds from the state budget for implementation of approved gender equality programs and projects;
- To guide, inspect and examine the use of funds for implementation of approved gender equality programs and projects according to the Law on the State Budget and relevant laws.
d/ The Ministry of Justice:
- To guide the incorporation of gender equality issues in the formulation of legal documents; to appraise the incorporation of gender equality issues in the formulation of legal documents.
- To formulate a program on raising gender equality capacity for lawmakers and legal officers in order to intensify the incorporation of gender equality issues in the formulation of legal documents.
dd/ The Ministry of Home Affairs:
- To scrutinize and propose amendments to competent agencies, guide and organize the implementation of, regulations on ages of appointment and training and further training of female cadres, civil servants and public employees;
- To incorporate gender and gender equality knowledge in the training and further training of cadres, civil servants and public employees;
- To formulate and implement programs on intensification of equal participation of women in leadership and management positions at different policymaking levels.
- To organize the realization of Objective 1 of the Strategy and monitor and report on its results.
e/ The Ministry of Health:
- To carry out activities ensuring the realization of gender equality objectives in the health domain;
- To intensify propagandization activities, warn and proactively control and solve the root causes of gender imbalance among newborns;
- To organize the realization of Objective 4 of the Strategy and monitor and report on its results.
g/ The Ministry of Education and Training:
- To introduce the contents on gender, gender equality, sex and reproductive health for teaching at various educational levels;
- To formulate and implement the program on introduction of gender equality contents into the system of formal lectures at various educational levels;
- To organize the implementation of targets 1 and 2 of Objective 5 of the Strategy, and monitor and report on their results.
h/ The Ministry of Information and Communications:
- To direct press and media agencies to step up and renew activities of communication about and education in the Party’s directions and line as well as the State’s policies and laws on gender equality, increasing broadcasting time volumes and numbers of articles, and raise the quality of propagandization on gender equality in specialized programs, pages and columns;
- To organize the realization of targets 3 and 4 of Objective 6 of the Strategy, and monitor and report on their results.
i/ The Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism:
- To guide and organize the implementation of support activities for domestic violence victims; to collect and make statistics on the number of domestic violence victims, the number of domestic violence victims and violence committers having access to support and counseling services;
- To communicate and educate in morality and life styles in families ensuring adherence to gender equality principles;
- To intensify inspections, examinations, and handling of violations in advertising products with sexually biased contents;
- To monitor, organize and report on the results of realization of target 2 (data on domestic violence) of Objective 3 of the Strategy.
k/ The Ministry of Public Security shall assume the prime responsibility for formulating and organizing, and report on results of, implementation of tasks and solutions on human trafficking prevention and combat; coordinate with related units, ministries, sectors, agencies and organizations in early detecting, intervening and handling in time gender-based violence cases.
l/ Provincial-level People’s Committees:
- To proactively formulate and promulgate local 5-year and annual plans for implementation of the Strategy; to annually report on the implementation of the Strategy;
- To review plans on realization of gender equality-related objectives and targets in their localities and forward them to the Ministry of Labor, Invalids and Social Affairs for summarization and reporting to the Government and the Prime Minister.
m/ The Vietnam Fatherland Front Central Committee, Vietnam Women’s Union Central Committee and member organizations of the Vietnam Fatherland Front shall, within the ambit of their respective functions and tasks, participate in organizing the implementation of the Strategy; step up propagandization and education activities aiming to raise public awareness about gender equality; to participate in the formulation, supervision and social criticism on the implementation of policies and laws on gender equality.
2. Ministers, heads of ministerial-level agencies, heads of government-attached agencies, and chairpersons of provincial-level People’s Committees shall, based on their respective functions, competence and assigned tasks, direct the formulation and promulgation of plans on implementation of the Strategy, while directing the implementation of solutions and tasks according to their functions and competence as suitable to their respective practical conditions. The Ministry of Labor, Invalids and Social Affairs shall monitor, urge, sum up and report on the implementation of the Strategy, promptly reporting and proposing to the Government and the Prime Minister necessary measures to ensure the synchronous and effective implementation of the Strategy.-
 Công Báo Nos 447-448 (14/03/2021)