ATTRIBUTE Law on Health Insurance
|Issuing body:||National Assembly of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam||Effective date:|
|Official number:||25/2008/QH12||Signer:||Nguyen Phu Trong|
|Issuing date:||14/11/2008||Effect status:|
|Fields:||Insurance Medical - Health|
Law on Health Insurance
Pursuant to the 1992 Constitution of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, which was amended and supplemented under Resolution No. 51/2001/QH10;
The National Assembly promulgates the Law on Health Insurance.
Article 1. Governing scope and subjects of application
1. This Law provides the health insurance regime and policies, including participants, premium rates, responsibilities and methods of payment of health insurance premiums; health insurance cards; eligible health insurance beneficiaries; medical care for the insured; payment of costs of medical care covered by health insurance; health insurance fund; and rights and responsibilities of parties involved in health insurance.
2. This Law applies to domestic and foreign organizations and individuals in Vietnam that are involved in health insurance.
3. This Law does not apply to commercial health insurance.
Article 2. Interpretation of terms In this Law, the terms below are construed as follows:
1. Health insurance is a form of insurance applied in the health care sector for non-profit purposes, organized by the State and joined by responsible persons under this Law.
2. All-people health insurance means health insurance joined by all persons prescribed in this Law.
3. Health insurance fund means a financial facility set up from health insurance premium payments and other lawful collections, which is used to cover costs of medical care for the insured, managerial costs of health insurance institutions and other lawful costs related to health insurance.
4. Employers include state agencies, public non-business units, people’s armed forces units, political organizations, socio-political organizations, socio-political-professional organizations, social organizations, socio- professional organizations, enterprises, cooperatives, individual business households and other organizations; foreign organizations; and international organizations operating in the Vietnamese territory, which are responsible for making health insurance contributions.
5. Health insurance-covered primary care provider means the first medical examination and treatment establishment registered by an insured and indicated in the health insurance card.
6. Health insurance assessment means professional activities conducted by a health insurance institution to evaluate the reasonableness of medical care services provided to an insured, serving as a basis for the payment of costs of health insurance-covered medical care.
Article 3. Health insurance principles
1. Ensuring the sharing of risks among the insured.
2. Health insurance premiums shall be determined in percentage of wage, remuneration, pension, allowance or minimum salary in the administrative sector (below referred to as the minimum salary).
3. Health insurance benefits shall be based on the seriousness of sickness and category of beneficiaries within the scope of the insured’s benefits.
4. Costs of health insurance-covered medical care shall be jointly paid by the health insurance fund and the insured.
Click download to see the full text