Law No. 68/2020/QH14 dated November 13, 2020 of the National Assembly on Residence
Household registration books shall remain valid until the end of 2022
This content is prescribed by the National Assembly in the Law on Residence No. 68/2020/QH14 dated November 13, 2020.
Accordingly, granted household registration books and temporary residence books shall remain valid for use as residence certification papers and documents in accordance with this Law through December 31, 2022.
The 2020 Law on Residence annuls procedures on renewal of household registration books; re-grant of household registration books, grant of papers on household registration transfer. The Law also amends and supplements the following procedures: Separation of household registration books; Adjustment of changes in household registration books; Papers certifying the previously registered permanent residence, etc. Besides, the time limit for processing the permanent residence for citizens also is shorten to 07 days at most, instead of 15 days as in previous regulations.
Noticeably, 2020 Law on Residence also annuls provisions on conditions for registration of permanent residence in centrally run cities (Article 20). It means, there is no separate provisions on conditions for registration of permanent residence in centrally run cities, the provision on registration of permanent residence in centrally run cities and provinces is the same without distinction and is applied generally and uniformly across the country. At the same time, the new Law also adds a number of cases of permanent registration deletion:
Firstly, they are absent from their places of permanent residence for 12 consecutive months or more without registering their temporary residence in other places or declaring their temporary absence, unless they go abroad not for permanent residence, or are serving their imprisonment sentences, etc.
Secondly, they had registered their permanent residence in places of residence that later have been dismantled or confiscated under decisions of competent state agencies or on vehicles that later have been deregistered in accordance with law, etc.
This Law takes effect on July 01, 2021.
For further details of the Law 68/2020/QH14, Click here
translation of the Official Gazette of the Vietnam News Agency
THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY
THE SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIETNAM
LAW ON RESIDENCE
Pursuant to the Constitution of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam;
The National Assembly promulgates the Law on Residence.
Article 1. Scope of regulation
This Law provides for the exercise of the right to freedom of residence of Vietnamese citizens in the territory of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam; residence registration and management; and rights, obligations and responsibilities of citizens, agencies and organizations regarding residence registration and management.
Article 2. Interpretation of terms
In this Law, the terms below are construed as follows:
1. Lawful place of residence means a domicile where a citizen resides and which is under his/her ownership or use rights, and may be a house, ship, boat or another movable vehicle or another domicile in accordance with law.
2. Residence means a citizen’s living at a place in a commune-level administrative unit or a district-level administrative unit where no commune-level administrative unit exists (below collectively referred to as commune-level administrative unit).
3. Residence database means a specialized database with a combination of information on residence of citizens which is digitalized, stored and managed with information infrastructure facilities, and connected and shared with the national population database and other databases in accordance with law.
4. Residence registration offices means residence management offices directly carrying out the registration of residence for citizens, including public security offices of communes, wards or townships; public security divisions of districts, towns, provincial cities or municipal cities of localities where no commune-level administrative units exist.
5. Residence registration means performance of procedures for permanent residence registration, temporary residence registration, temporary absence declaration, stay notification, and residence information declaration and modification.
6. Stay means a citizen’s stay at a place other than his/her place of permanent residence or place of temporary residence for a period of under 30 days.
7. Temporary absence means a citizen’s absence from his/her place of residence for a given period of time.
8. Place of permanent residence means a place where a citizen resides stably and permanently and has registered his/her permanent residence.
9. Place of temporary residence means a place where a citizen resides for a given period of time other than his/her place of permanent residence and has registered his/her temporary residence.