THE SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIETNAM
Independence - Freedom - Happiness
Hanoi, October 26, 2022
Defining the functions, tasks, powers and organizational structure of the Vietnam News Agency
Pursuant to the June 19, 2015 Law on Organization of the Government; and the November 22, 2019 Law Amending and Supplementing a Number of Articles of the Law on Organization of the Government and the Law on Organization of Local Administration;
Pursuant to the Government’s Decree No. 10/2016/ND-CP of February 1, 2016, on government-attached agencies; and the Government’s Decree No. 47/2019/ND-CP of June 5, 2019, amending and supplementing a number of articles of Decree No. 10/2016/ND-CP;
At the proposal of the Minister of Information and Communications,
The Government promulgates the Decree defining the functions, tasks, powers and organizational structure of the Vietnam News Agency.
Article 1. Position and functions
1. The Vietnam News Agency is a government-attached agency, a national news agency and a key multimedia agency which performs the function of publishing and broadcasting official information and documents of the Party and the State; providing information to meet the requirements of the Party leadership and state management; and collecting and providing information for the mass media, the public and other audiences at home and abroad.
2. Vietnam News Agency is its international transaction name in English, abbreviated as TTXVN in Vietnamese and as VNA in English.
3. The Vietnam News Agency submits to the state management by the Ministry of Information and Communications in terms of press and publishing activities.
Article 2. Tasks and powers
The Vietnam News Agency shall perform the tasks and exercise the powers specified in the Government’s Decree No. 10/2016/ND-CP of February 1, 2016, on government-attached agencies and the Government’s Decree No. 47/2019/ND-CP of June 5, 2019, amending and supplementing a number of articles of Decree No. 10/2016/ND-CP, and the followings tasks and powers:
1. To formulate and submit to the Government and Prime Minister its long-term, medium-term and annual strategies, programs and plans, and important projects and schemes, and organize the implementation of these strategies, programs, plans, projects and schemes after they are approved.
2. To publish and broadcast official documents and information of the Party and State; to collect and compile information for public communication and for reporting and reference through various types of press, in multimedia forms, and by multi-platform approach to promptly meet the requirements of the Party leadership and state management.
3. To publicize the State’s official viewpoints on current affairs; to rectify information unbeneficial to the national interests; to refute and correct misinformation; and when necessary, to issue statements to reject intentionally distorted information.
4. To collect, compile, publish, print and distribute publications and press and multimedia products to the mass media, the public and other domestic and foreign audiences.
5. To perform the tasks of the national key foreign-service press agency; to collect, compile and provide information about Vietnam in various languages to domestic agencies and organizations, foreign news and press agencies, foreigners and overseas Vietnamese.
6. To archive information; to build an information data bank; to manage the national photo archives and organize the exploitation of these data sources to serve its communication work at home and abroad and to meet requirements of agencies of the Party and the State and domestic and foreign organizations and individuals.
7. To provide information to ethnic minority and mountainous people in their spoken and written languages.
8. To provide information to related agencies and coordinate with them in performing national defense and security tasks.
9. To research and apply scientific and technological advances, and carry out digital transformation in its activities.
10. To undertake international cooperation in the fields within the ambit of its functions, tasks and powers in accordance with law.
11. To exercise the powers and perform the responsibilities of the representative of the state owner at enterprises which it establishes and organize their management.
12. To manage and decide on investment and construction projects falling within its competence in accordance with law; to participate in the appraisal of important schemes, projects and programs relevant to its expertise and professional operations as assigned by the Prime Minister.
13. To implement the financial autonomy mechanism in accordance with law; for particular cases, to propose and coordinate with related ministries and agencies in, formulating a special financial autonomy mechanism and submit it to a competent authority for promulgation.
14. To decide on and direct the implementation of its administrative reform program in line with the objectives and contents of the state administrative reform program promulgated by the Government.
15. To manage the organizational apparatus and number of its public employees and laborers, working positions, and the job title-based structure of public employees; to decide on the rotation, transfer, appointment, relief from duty, resignation, dismissal, secondment, training, refresher training, commendation, disciplining, relief from office, retirement, salary regime and other beneficial policies applicable to public employees and laborers under its management according to regulations;
16. To organize service provision activities in conformity with its functions and tasks as provided by law.
17. To manage and use state budget allocations and assigned public assets at home and abroad in accordance with the law on the state budget, the law on management and use of public assets and other relevant laws; to distribute financial sources among its units in accordance with law.
18. To report according to regulations to the Government, Prime Minister, Ministry of Information and Communications and other competent state agencies.
19. To perform other tasks and exercise other powers as assigned by the Government or Prime Minister or provided by law.
Article 3. Organizational structure
1. The Editorial Secretariat and External Affairs Department.
2. The Office.
3. The Organization and Personnel Department.
4. The Planning and Finance Department.
5. The Domestic News Department.
6. The World News Department.
7. The News for Foreign Service Department.
8. The Photo Department.
9. The Economic News Department.
10. The Information-Documentation and Graphics Center.
11. The Vietnam News Agency Television Center.
12. Tin Tuc (News) newspaper.
13. The Thao - Van Hoa (Sports and Culture) newspaper.
14. VietnamPlus online newspaper.
15. Vietnam News newspaper.
16. Le Courrier du Vietnam newspaper.
17. Vietnam Law and Legal Forum magazine.
18. Vietnam Pictorial.
19. Ethnic Minority and Mountainous Region Pictorial.
20. The Vietnam News Agency Publishing House.
21. The Vietnam News Agency’s Southern Bureau.
22. The Vietnam News Agency’s Central and Central Highlands Bureau.
23. The Vietnam News Agency’s resident bureaus in the provinces and centrally run cities, which are established in accordance with law.
24. The Vietnam News Agency’s overseas resident bureaus established in accordance with law.
25. The Vietnam News Agency Technical Center.
26. The Vietnam News Agency Training Center.
27. The Vietnam News Agency Communications Development Center.
28. The Vietnam News Agency International Cooperation Center.
The units specified in Clauses 1 thru 4 of this Article are assisting units of the General Director of the Vietnam News Agency; the units specified in Clauses 5 thru 24 of this Article are information units; and the units specified in Clauses 25 thru 28 of this Article are information service units.
The Office has 6 divisions and the Planning and Finance Department has 4 divisions.
Article 4. Leadership
1. The Vietnam News Agency is headed by the General Director and no more than 4 Deputy General Directors.
2. The General Director and Deputy General Directors of the Vietnam News Agency shall be appointed, relieved from office and dismissed by the Prime Minister in accordance with law.
3. The General Director shall take responsibility before the Government and Prime Minister for all activities of the Vietnam News Agency. Deputy General Directors shall assist the General Director in, and take responsibility before the General Director and law for, their assigned tasks.
4. The General Director may appoint, relieve from duty and dismiss heads and deputy heads, and define the functions, tasks, powers, organizational structures and working relations, of units of the Vietnam New Agency.
Article 5. Effect
1. This Decree takes effect on November 1, 2022.
2. This Decree replaces the Government’s Decree No. 118/2017/ND-CP of October 26, 17, defining the functions, tasks, powers and organizational structure of the Vietnam News Agency.
Article 6. Implementation responsibility
Ministers, heads of ministerial-level agencies, heads of government-attached agencies and chairpersons of provincial-level People’s Committees shall implement this Decree.-
On behalf of the Government
For the Prime Minister
Deputy Prime Minister
PHAM BINH MINH