On August 31, 2022, the Government issues Decree No. 58/2022/ND-CP on the registration and management of foreign non-governmental organizations in Vietnam.
In accordance with Decree 58, a non-governmental organization means a nonprofit organization, social fund, or private fund, which is established under foreign laws.
This fund carries out development assistance and humanitarian aid activities not for profit or other purposes in Vietnam; does not make a financial contribution, call for sponsorships or raise funds from Vietnamese organizations and individuals.
The Vietnamese Government shall encourage and create favorable conditions for foreign non-governmental organizations to carry out humanitarian aid and development assistance activities; and protect the legitimate rights and interests of foreign non-governmental organizations.
However, Article 5, Article 58 shall prohibit acts for foreign non-governmental organizations to manage their activities in Vietnam as follows:
- Organizing, carrying out, participating in, or financing religious activities and others that are non-compliant with national interests or infringe national defense and security, social order, and security of Vietnam.
- Organizing, carrying out, or participating in activities for profit, not for humanitarian aid, or development assistance purposes.
- Financing activities against, or aimed at overthrowing the administration in other countries, terrorist organizations, and terrorism activities.
- Organizing, participating in, or financing money laundering activities, and related activities.
- Organizing, participating in, or financing other activities against social ethics, fine customs and traditions, cultural identity, and the great national unity bloc of Vietnam.
This Circular takes effect on November 01, 2022.