Both Vietnamese citizens and foreigners are issued with electronic identification accounts. Here is the information on the electronic identification account.
1. What is the foreigner’s electronic identification account?
Electronic identification means activities of registering, comparing, creating, and attaching electronic identities to electronic identity owners.
Currently, state agencies perform electronic identification for Vietnamese citizens and foreigners. Within that identification number of a foreigner means a unique sequence of natural numbers established by the electronic identification and authentication system to manage the electronic identity of a foreign person.
In accordance with Article 8, Decree No. 59/2022/ND-CP, electronic identities of foreigners cover:
- Personal information: Electronic identities of foreigners, Full name, Date of birth, Gender, Citizenship, Number, symbol, date of issuance, type of document, and place of issuance of a passport or international travel document.
- Biometric information: Portrait photo, Fingerprint
The objectives of electronic identities of foreigners aged 14 and older entering Vietnam. For foreigners who are under 14 years old or are under guardianship, the registration shall be made via electronic identification accounts of their fathers, mothers, or guardians (Article 11, Decree 59).
2. What does the foreigner’s electronic identification account use for?
The foreigner’s electronic identification accounts are:
- Level-1 electronic identification account for a foreign electronic identity owner is as valid to prove the information of the person in the activities and transactions required personal information.
- Level-2 electronic identification account for a foreign electronic identity owner is as valid as the use of his/her passport or valid international travel documents in carrying out transactions.
At the same time, such use is as valid to information in documents of the foreigner that have been synchronized into his/her electronic identification account for comparison by competent agencies and organizations when carrying out transactions requiring the presentation of these documents.
3. How to register the electronic identification account of foreigners?
3.1. Registration for level-1 electronic identification accounts
In accordance with Clause 1, Article 15, Decree 59/2022, Foreigners shall use mobile devices to register level-1 electronic identification accounts in VNelD.
Foreigners shall use VNelD to enter information about their passports or valid international travel documents and email addresses or phone numbers (if any). Provide information according to instructions on VNelD.
Take portrait photos by mobile devices and send requests for electronic identification accounts to the agency managing electronic identification and authentication via VNelD.
The agency managing electronic identification shall notify the result of registration via VNelD or SMS or email.
3.2. Registration for level-2 electronic identification accounts
Clause 2, Article 15, Decree 59 prescribes that foreigners shall carry out procedures for registration of electronic identity accounts at the immigration management agency of the Ministry of Public Security or the provincial-level Public Security Departments.
The foreigner must present passports or international travel documents. At the same time, provide email addresses or phone numbers (if any) and request additional information to be integrated into electronic identification accounts.
Officers shall receive and input the information provided by foreigners into the electronic identification and authentication system; take portrait photos and fingerprints of the foreigners who come to carry out procedures to authenticate with the Citizen Identity Database.
After confirming consent to register for the creation of electronic identity accounts, the immigration management agency shall send a request for a grant of electronic identification accounts to the agency managing electronic identification and authentication.
The result of level-2 electronic identification accounts shall be noticed. The agency managing electronic identification shall notify the result of registration via VNelD or SMS or email.
3.3. Time limits
Pursuant to Clause 2, Article 17, the time limits for the grant of an electronic identification account are as follows:
- The grant of level-1 electronic identification accounts: Not exceeding 1 working day;
- The grant of level-2 electronic identification accounts:
· Not exceeding 3 working days for the grant of level-2 electronic identification accounts with information on portrait photos and fingerprints in the National Immigration Database;
· Not exceeding 7 working days but there is no information on portrait photos and fingerprints in the National Immigration Database.
Here is the information on the electronic identification accounts of foreigners.