THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY
THE SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIETNAM
Independence - Freedom - Happiness
LAW ON THE MILITARY RESERVE FORCE 
Pursuant to the Constitution of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam;
The National Assembly promulgates the Law on the Military Reserve Force.
Article 1. Scope of regulation
This Law prescribes the building and mobilization of the military reserve force; applicable regimes and policies; and responsibilities of agencies, organizations and individuals in building and mobilizing the military reserve force.
Article 2. Interpretation of terms
In this Law, the terms below are construed as follows:
1. The military reserve force is composed of reserve army men and reserve technical facilities that are registered, managed and arranged into reserve units to be ready for supplementation to the permanent force of the People’s Army.
2. Reserve army men include reserve army officers, reserve professional army men and reserve non-commissioned officers as well as soldiers, who are registered under the Law on Officers of the Vietnam People’s Army, Law on Professional Army Men, Defense Workers and Employees or Law on Military Service.
3. Reserve technical facilities include property of Vietnamese agencies, organizations and citizens, including road motorized vehicles, waterway craft, civil aviation craft, road and bridge building vehicles and equipment, construction vehicles and equipment, cargo-handling equipment, communication equipment and facilities, medical equipment and supplies, and a number of other vehicles, equipment and facilities which are registered as required by the People’s Army.
4. Reserve unit means a military organization composed largely or entirely of reserve army men with reserve technical facilities planned for supplementation to the permanent force of the People’s Army; which may be incompletely organized and staffed or not yet organized in peacetime but planned for mobilization and supplementation in wartime upon mobilization orders.
5. Reserve professional units constitute a form of reserve units organized and staffed with reserve army men possessing necessary professional qualifications, skills and equipment to serve professional tasks.
6. Military profession means a profession relevant to a staff title in the People’s Army.
7. Mobilization of the military reserve force means the call-up of reserve army men and mobilization of reserve technical facilities for handover to the permanent force of the People’s Army in accordance with this Law.
8. Reserve technical facility owners include Vietnamese agencies, organizations and citizens having the right to own or use reserve technical facilities subject to registration, management and arrangement in reserve units.
Article 3. Principles of building and mobilizing the military reserve force
1. Complying with the Constitution and laws of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam; being placed under the absolute, direct and all-sided leadership of the Communist Party of Vietnam, the supreme command of the President, the centralized and unified management of the Government, and the command and direction of the Minister of National Defense.
2. Building the military reserve force which is politically, ideologically and organizationally firm and strong, has high combat capacity, and is well managed.
3. Mobilizing the concerted strength of the entire population.
4. Closely combining socio-economic development with national defense and security strengthening; being suitable to the national socio-economic development conditions.
5. Building and mobilizing reserve units with adequate quantity and reserve technical facilities; strictly complying with set standards and time frames; ensuring confidentiality and safety according to law and approved plans.
6. Applying scientific, technical and technological advances to building and mobilizing the military reserve force.
Article 4. Responsibilities of reserve army men arranged in reserve units
1. Reserve army men arranged in reserve units have the following responsibilities:
a/ To take medical checks;
b/ To abide by orders on calling up for training, exercises or mobilization and combat readiness inspections;
c/ To follow the regime of daily-life activities of reserve units and perform the tasks assigned by commanders;
d/ To abide by orders of mobilization for supplementation to the permanent force of the People’s Army.
2. Reserve army men holding command posts in reserve units have the following responsibilities:
a/ To comply with Clause 1 of this Article;
b/ To grasp the number and quality of their units; to maintain their units’ activities according to the prescribed regime and comply with the reporting regime;
c/ To manage and command their units upon training, exercises and mobilization and combat readiness inspections;
d/ To manage and command their units for supplementation to the permanent force of the People’s Army.
Article 5. Rights and obligations of reserve technical facility owners, operators and drivers
1. Reserve technical facility owners are obliged to abide by decisions on mobilization of reserve technical facilities; have their reserve technical facilities returned, and receive all expenses and compensations for damage caused by the mobilization of reserve technical facilities.
2. Reserve technical facility operators and drivers are obliged to abide by mobilization decisions; are entitled to the regimes and policies prescribed by this Law.
Click download to see the full text