THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY
THE SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIETNAM
Independence - Freedom - Happiness
On Exit and Entry of Vietnamese Citizens
Pursuant to the Constitution of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam;
The National Assembly promulgates the Law on Exit and Entry of Vietnamese Citizens.
Article 1. Scope of regulation
This Law provides exit and entry of exit and entry of Vietnamese citizens; responsibilities of the state management agency of immigration and related agencies, organizations and individuals.
Article 2. Interpretation of terms
In this Law, the terms below are construed as follows:
1. Exit means a Vietnamese citizen’s departure from Vietnam’s territory through a Vietnamese border gate.
2. Entry means a Vietnamese citizen’s entry from abroad into Vietnam’s territory through a Vietnamese border gate.
3. Passport means a paper under the state ownership issued by a Vietnamese competent agency to a Vietnamese citizen for use for his/her exit or entry and for proving his/her citizenship and personal identity.
4. E-passport means a passport with an embedded electronic chip that contains encrypted information of its holder and digital signature of its issuer.
5. International travel document means a document issued by a Vietnamese competent agency to a Vietnamese citizen for traveling across the border under a treaty between Vietnam and its bordering country.
6. Immigration control means inspection, supervision and verification of persons and their immigration papers in accordance this Law.
7. Exit postponement means suspension of exit from Vietnam of a Vietnamese citizen for a specified period of time.
8. National database on exit and entry of Vietnamese citizens means a collection of information on Vietnamese citizens concerning their exit and entry activities which is digitalized, stored, managed and used via information infrastructure.
Article 3. Exit and entry principles
1. To comply with the Constitution and law of Vietnam and relevant treaties to which the Socialist Republic of Vietnam is a contracting party.
2. To ensure publicity, transparency and convenience for Vietnamese citizens; to closely and uniformly manage exit and entry of Vietnamese citizens.
3. To ensure national security and social order and security; to protect lawful rights and interests of Vietnamese citizens in exit and entry activities.
4. All violations of the law on exit and entry committed by agencies, organizations and individuals must be promptly detected and strictly handled in accordance with law.
Article 4. Prohibited acts
1. Intentionally providing untruthful information in order to get immigration papers issued, renewed or restored or to report on the loss thereof.
2. Forging or using forged immigration papers for exit, entry, travel or overseas residence.
3. Donating, presenting as gifts, buying, selling, borrowing, lending, renting, leasing, putting in pledge, or taking pledge of, immigration papers; destroying, erasing or modifying immigration papers.
4. Illegally using immigration papers, adversely affecting the State’s reputation or harming the State’s interests.
5. Taking advantage of exit or entry to infringe upon national security and social order and security of Vietnam, lawful rights and interests of agencies and organizations or life, health or lawful rights and interests of individuals.
6. Illegally leaving or entering the country; organizing, brokering, assisting, harboring, concealing, or creating conditions for, illegal exit or entry of others; traveling across the national border without completing the prescribed procedures.
7. Obstructing or resisting a person on official duty in the issuance of immigration papers or control of immigration.
8. Causing harassments or troubles, asking for additional papers, charges or fees, prolonging the time limit for completion of exit or entry procedures; preventing citizens from exercising their rights and performing their obligations provided in this Law.
9. Issuing immigration papers ultra vires or to ineligible persons; failing to prevent violations of the law on exit and entry of Vietnamese citizens according to competence.
10. Destroying, falsifying or disclosing information in the national database on exit and entry of Vietnamese citizens; using information in the national database on exit and entry of Vietnamese citizens in contravention of law.
11. Seizing or failing to issue immigration papers, postponing or permitting exit in contravention of law.
Click download to see the full text